Sunday, July 17, 2011

Stirring Up Trouble by ZA Maxfield

Stirring Up Trouble (Stir #1)Stirring Up Trouble by Z.A. Maxfield
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This story was a nice change from what I've been reading. Lately it's been angst, angst, angst, but this was a much lighter storyline. The characters and fun and interesting, and they have some nice chemistry. There is some angst, mostly in the form of the nasty food critic Tad Christopher and his weird fascination with smearing Toby, but it is very well balanced by the relationship and the dynamics of the restaurant.

I'm not a professional chef, so I don't know if the specifics of the story were accurate, but they felt like it. There was a familiarity with cooking terms and cuisine that made it believable when they casually mention a particular creme brulee or a specific entree (made me hungry). I really liked the character of Toby's nephew, Adam, and wanted to see more of him. He wasn't present for most of the middle of the book, and it made me a little sad; despite the dynamic nature of Toby's character, the childish nature and innocence of Adam was refreshing, at least for me.

I would suggest this book to anyone interested in a solid story, and somewhat gradual romance without a lot of dramatic angst, and a satisfying ending.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment