Sunday, July 17, 2011

With Caution by JL Langley

With Caution (With or Without Series, #3)With Caution by J.L. Langley
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This was one of the first things I read by J.L. Langley, and I read it before I realized it was part of a series. Of course, that altered my perception of the story from others, since I wasn't aware of Remi's attitude from Without Reservations, and I didn't understand the relationship established there between Keaton and Chay. Of course, this didn't detract from the story at all.

I really liked Remi, and quickly came to sympathize with his situation. He was forced into a hard place, with an abusive, controlling father and a younger brother that he felt that he needed to protect against all costs. His attraction to Jake comes at a time when things are in the air; he's a newly changed werewolf, and is trying to come to terms with all that entails, as well as his strange feelings for a man, feelings he's suppressed with a strong front of heterosexuality.

I think, for me, the single aspect that endears me to Remi is how interacts with Sterling, and later Gadget's son Eddie. He's nurturing and protective, and while those may seem like feminine roles (add to that his omega status as a wolf), he has a strength of character and presence that mark him as nothing other than male. It's a common fault of m/m books to have characters that feel the the traditional male/female roles of a romance, but Langley does a wonderful job giving us a relationship that, while seme/uke and dom/sub in nature, is still wholly man with man, not man with girly-man.

Jake was interesting to me as well since he didn't fill the role as a stereotypical dominant. Yes, he was dominant and alpha (even getting his own pack in the end), but he doesn't take over control of Remi's life except to protect, as well as in the bedroom. I actually found him rather sweet; you can tell he cares a lot about the people in his group, later pack, and is nearly as fiercely protective of them as he is of Remi.

I would love to see another story with these two characters, maybe after Sterling is of age, he and Rhys are together, and the pack moves to wherever they end up. I loved seeing their relationship progress, and it makes me want to see what the future has in store for them...kids? :D

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment