Sunday, July 17, 2011

Taurus: All That You Do by Jamie Craig

Taurus: All That You Do  (Boys of the Zodic, #2)Taurus: All That You Do by Jamie Craig
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was an interesting story, in that for nearly the entire timeframe of the story the two protagonists are not in a relationship. Christopher picks up Gage the night meet, but backs away from intimacy once he finds out Gage is a virgin, and that his innocence is not an act. After this, Gage enters into a relationship of sorts with a semi-friend of Christopher's. I really like this element because it led to some awkward situations between the two protags, and ramped up the sexual tension between them with the obvious barrier of the pseudo-boyfriend.

The only part about this element that I don't like is when they have sex for the first time...which is when Gage is still technically dating the other guy, and right after assuring his boyfriend that they were exclusive and he had no designs on Christopher. It seemed to jar a little with Gage's character, who doesn't strike me as much of a liar, and I really don't care moments of infidelity (although I'm more okay with it here, because the cheating isn't on Christopher, but it implies it could happen in the future in their relationship).

Watching Gage evolve and grow was very satisfying, and I really liked the interplay between Christopher and Gage; their an interesting couple, and really diverse and into each other.

I wish there had been a little more alluding to the reasons behind Christopher's initial reaction to Gage...it isn't until rather late in the book that it's revealed that Christopher's reaction are due to a previous relationship, not some aversion to virgins. He speaks of a rule against innocents, and first-timers or those just coming out, but earlier we only see his reaction to Gage's virginity, no reasoning or hints that there might be more to it, despite the fact that we're in Christopher's head for much of the book. Even something as simple as "I couldn't have sex with Gage that first night because of his innocence; I couldn't go through that again." would have been enough to give a hint that there WAS another reason for us to find out...it was hard to understand Christopher's reticence before Gage was in a relationship without that bit of knowledge.

Despite that niggle, I really liked the book, and it ended in such a way that I felt really satisfied at the outcome.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment