Sunday, July 17, 2011

Timing by Mary Calmes

TimingTiming by Mary Calmes
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Overall, I thought this book was a lot of fun to read. The characters were interesting and engaging, the plot moved along quickly enough that it never really felt bogged down in descriptions or drama, and the setting felt real and believable.

I really liked Stefan, the main character. His POV was great, and his comments about people and the situations he found himself were fun and funny. My only negative comment about his character is that he was too...perfect, I guess. He was beautiful, everyone loved him, etc...that bugged me a little, but Ms. Calmes wasn't annoying about it, either. He had flaws, but they tended to be downplayed a little, except in the arguments with Rand (of course).

Rand was harder to get to know, both because he wasn't the POV character and because he seemed inconsistent at times. Some of that is because of Stef's perception (since we see the story through his POV), but some of it comes from what he does. At one point, I thought he was bailing on the relationship with Stef from his own words, although I think that was a deliberate action on the author's part. While I get that it was probably intentional, he still came off as a little "waffly" to me, at least until the ending.

The only thing that felt a little out of place was the intrigue with Stef's work. It works decently within the story, but it doesn't seem to affect the characters much outside of when there is actual danger. When they talk about the wedding, or are involved in it, the danger isn't even discussed for long periods of time. I think that could have been easily remedied, bringing it back into the reader's consciousness as a distant dark cloud, with something like Stef seeing the "worry in Rand's eyes" (or any other character, really), or a few comments here and there.

All in all, though, that was a rather minor problem, and the story was a very enjoyable read. It is high on my list of "good reads", and definitely one I will read again.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment